Saturday, April 5, 2014

Book Review: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Hello again readers, Today I'm back with a book review of a book that I finished this morning. My thoughts about this book are still fresh, so why not write up the post now. Also, I want to have a new post at least once a week or maybe once in two weeks. I want this to be reasonable so that I do not slack after a month or something. I am not sure if you have a good memory or not, but I guess because I read a lot of books many of them after a while I forget the characters names and most of the plot line, perhaps I would only remember some fragments that made me laugh or, effected me in some way. That is why reviews are also a good thing to write, whenever I want to remember my thoughts about a certain book.

I have read this book using my school's Kindle. Yes, I did say my school's kindle, pop your eyes back into your sockets (I know, I know, I'm hilarious) Our school allows us to borrow Kindles as long as we have signed the contract, so that if it gets damaged we pay up. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I sure was surprised when I heard we had Kindles and we could take them home. I personally do not like anything that takes place of the physical book. One that you can have on your shelf, you can touch the pages and smell. It is a different and much more beautiful experience. However, the Kindle makes it easy to read as its on a screen, its size is perfect and it does not hurt your eye. I do not think I am buying a Kindle anytime soon, maybe if I had to travel and I could not take books with me or something of that sort, then it would be convenient. For now if I ever feel like it, I could borrow it from school.

Now let me get to the book.



Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Creatures once extinct now roam Jurassic Park, soon-to-be opened as a theme park. Until something goes wrong...and science proves a dangerous toy.

First of all I remember Jurassic Park as a movie when I used to be younger, that used to scare me and it contained dinosaurs. Thankfully, I couldn't remember any of the plot or the book would be semi-ruined to me. When I borrowed the school's Kindle to read a book for my book club, I found this book along with the other books saved and I decided on impulse to read it, then get to the book for the book club (since there is still time and I'd rather read that before the book club meeting. Again, to have it fresh in my mind.)

The story starts off by giving you trivial details about the plot. It keeps you wondering how the cloning took place, are those really loose dinosaurs and keeps you questioning. I did like that however, it was a bit longer than what keeps you satisfied. However, after the intro the story started picking up speed and swallowing you in.

A really enjoy science-fiction books and I have not read many (now I am planing to, if you have any suggestions of cool science-fiction books please comment below.) which is why I decided to read this book. I love how Crichton introduces us to many real theories (I looked up the acknowledgements) in particular, I was really interested by the Chaos theory. Here is a little extract of the book where Malcolm explains the theory:




This doesn't quite explain it, I guess I didn't take a picture where he explains it. He did explain it several times; basically the entire time he speaks towards the end he elaborates more about his theory. This part of the book I really liked and I agree with what he says.

One character- other than Malcolm- that caught my attention was Lex. She is such a peculiar child. The way she reacts to certain situations, the phrases she says such sometimes lead me to thinking she is not fully normal. I am not sure if Crichton is shedding some light on how children are affected by divorce and ill treatment, or if its just me reading way into it.

Overall, I think this book is a good read. In my opinion, Crichton is very thoughtful and creative, he has a great way of sending the message to his readers, as well us throw in a lot of theories that I sure did devour. I would like to read the second book sometime in the future because I really want to know what would happen next.

Until next time,
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment