Friday, September 12, 2014

Book Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: By day, two young women spend their hours emailing each other, discussing every aspect of their lives. By night, Lincoln, a lonely IT guy, spends his hours reading every exchange. Soon Lincoln is drawn into their lives, and finds himself falling for one of them. Lincoln decides it's time to muster the courage to follow his heart.

I was really excited about starting another Rainbow Rowell book. Her books - to me - are  fun, light reads that help take your mind off things and don't demand much thinking. As I mentioned in previous book reviews, (here and on goodreads) that she always makes me laugh out loud. In this book I've only laughed twice or three times. Now I am not saying I did not enjoy this book. I loved it, it made me smile, the characters were on my mind even when I wasn't reading, I even thought of them and still do now that I am done. But somehow it did not seem to me as a four or five star book.

There is a certain atmosphere in Rowell's book that simply attract my brain cells. However, while reading I kept comparing it to her other two novels and to be honest, I enjoyed Fangirl and Eleanor & Park more. This novel had been the first she published, which could mean she simply flourished and grew while writing the latter two.

Despite the peculiarity of the scenario, it is still quite believable. Jessica and Beth's friendship was very touching. I loved reading their e-mails to each other. They remind me of some of my friends when we correspond. I did love and feel a connection with all the characters in the book; honestly all Rowell's characters are wonderful. I want to befriend all of them and push them into my life.

Sometimes you rate a book three stars, but that doesn't mean it is bad. I actually rate(d) a lot of books three stars which I enjoyed and touched me. But, after reading many books, sometimes they don't feel like they are compatible of being four or five rating, since you keep comparing them to all the previous work you have read. So I learned something after reading this book and other few which I rated three stars; three stars doesn't always mean its not good, it is but it could lack in someway. Nevertheless, it is quite good. Which is why this blog is a great way, when you read the person's review you get what they are trying to say; whether it is a "good" three star rating, or the book is not that great.

Happy Reading!
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment