Thursday, May 22, 2014

Book Review: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince had been a book I've been eyeing for a while. So when I saw it in Kinokuniya I immediately picked it up. I've heard a lot of good things about this book, but I was really intrigued as to how and why such a short book could leave an impact on many people. Now I know why.



Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: Moral allegory and spiritual autobiography, The Little Prince is the most translated book in the French language. With a timeless charm it tells the story of a little boy who leaves the safety of his own tiny planet to travel the universe, learning the vagaries of adult behaviour through a series of extraordinary encounters. His personal odyssey culminates in a voyage to Earth and further adventures.

This books talks about a man whom encounters the Little Prince and the events are told from his point of view. I don't want to talk to about the plot because, for the most part I am a firm believer that it is better when you read a book without knowing much about it beforehand.

This book just fills you up with warmness and shatters your heart and soul at the same time. I feel like while reading this book I grew a bit, if that makes sense. It has that effect. It has a lot of magical symbolism that I found very refreshing and beautiful. The book also contains moral lessons. I think a lot of people would be able to associate many situations and experiences in their life. It made me smile and it hurt me. To sum it up, it is beautiful. I think that this book is not meant to be read once. You need to pick it every once in a while.

One important aspect to me of the book is the rose.
ah the rose.

Spoiler Alert: Read the things below at your own risk.

I think a lot of us who have someone we care about immensely, while they take advantage of that. I think the relationship between the Prince and the Rose was the same. She drained him from her orders and she constantly wanted his full care and affection. Until it wore him down and made him melancholy. This part of the book just struck home.

Happy reading,
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment