Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Book Review: Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier

Let me start of this post by telling you how this book stole my heart. At first, when I had absolutely no idea what would it be about, I somehow got the feeling it might contain magic realism of some sort. Then once I started it, I was kind of let down by the fact that it was a pretty normal classic. However, after the first sitting of this book, I connected it a lot with Wuthering Heights (so if you love that book there is a fat chance you would like this one as well.) I can't tell why, it just did of some sort. I always have this feeling where I would group some books into the same pile if they have the same vibe (I guess that's what you can call it.) I may make a post at some points of books that have the same vibe.





I love the inside of this book. It has the authors autograph, it adds a nice unique touch to the novel.

Rating: ★★★

Synopsis: The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives--presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.

I would not say much about the plot because I feel like its better you read this book without knowing before hand what could it be about. First of all, the pace of the novel was slow and that is because we are able to enter the protagonist's psychological state  and understand through her, the novel. The book uses the stream of consciousness technique, again for us to understand things through the character. The atmosphere- despite it being slow- is tense and that is why it still reels you in. 

The book is very enjoyable towards the end, I couldn't put it down. I did not expect some things to occur. To me at least, the book was very unpredictable. I personally found the book very easy to read and follow, unlike some other classics that require your full focus. I don't want to say more, because then it would ruin the plot. 

If you are intimidated by classics and you do not know where to start, if you like some romance, suspense and a shock in the end then, Rebecca is the book for you. 

Happy reading,
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment