Thursday, July 24, 2014

Alice in Wonderland Marathon

I don't know about you but I like reading books that are kind of relevant back to back. A couple of months back I discovered the book Splintered which is based on Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I really liked the idea and found it quite interesting. I also, in general, just want to read more classics because I do find myself enjoying most of them. Thus, since I haven't read the original Alice in Wonderland book, I decided to read it and then read Splintered. I got busy from school and when I saw Alice's Adventures in Wonderland penguin cloth-bound classic it had a very long introduction. I thought it needed a lot of focus, so I just waited until summer started. So today I am going to review to you both those books and tell you what I think of them.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll:

 I absolutely love the penguin cloth-bound editions however, I do have some remarks that might interest you. First of all the book is not really comfortable while reading. My fingers did hurt me while reading the book from the pressure of the spine holding the pages too closely. I did bend the spine several times and then it became fine. If this is an issue for you, you might want to check before purchasing the book. For me after making the spine less hard, it was just fine.


I also kept on scratching the print without noticing while reading. It did bother me at first, but I still think I'd continue buying some more of those editions. Maybe I am clumsy but I thought I'd just point it out.

Rating: ★★★

I do not think a synopsis is needed. 

Before starting of the book I was excited, because I do like the Alice in Wonderland story. However, I do honestly think that the introduction made this book even better. It talked about Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll and the reason why he wrote the book, how it started, a lot of background information about him that definitely startled me and I found very interesting. As well as explanation and analysis of both texts. I am not sure about other classic editions but I have to say this is one of the best introductions I've read- as I usually find them boring and skim through them hastily or skip them. It just covered exactly what I wanted to find out in intricate detail without being boring. In addition, it had references in the back explaining it as you read the stories.

Moving on to the actual story, I loved it. I loved the way Carroll described each character and developed them. I did make my own analysis at times; which I think is nice considering how heavily annotated it was, you still could make your own assumptions. I loved how the same illustrations were kept from the illustrations Carroll himself chose.

What I also enjoyed was the original text in the end of the book, which was only half the number of pages and much less scenes than the one Carroll published later on. It was very interesting how important characters such as the Mad Hatter were not included in the main script. I think the illustrations in the main script were Carroll's (although I am not sure).

I read Through the Looking-Glass as well and I loved it as much as Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I do agree with the introduction, it is much darker and gloomy(er) than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It was to read a sequel to it as I couldn't have enough of only one.

I cannot recommend this book enough, especially this edition because of the introduction. I am not quite sure if all the other cloth-bound editions have excellent introductions and references, but if they do I might have to get them all.

If you're wondering the notes and introduction were written by Hugh Haughton.

Splintered by H. G. Howard:


The book cover is GORGEOUS.

Rating: ★★★
Synopsis: This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.



As I mentioned earlier, when I heard about this book I was very intrigued and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. I would not talk much about the plot because I would give it away however, I find the plot excellent. The world and Howard's twist on wonderland's characters, the idea is very well developed and I personally think it is very smart. I liked the fact that she is called Alyssa and her mom is called Alison, as they are all names similar to Alice.

I know you're wondering why did I rate it three stars when I praised it so much. Well... almost every single page displayed cheesy romance. The main character Alyssa is displayed as weak, innocent, driven by blind emotion. Jeb is over protective treating her as something fragile that would break, I had to stop several times to compose myself and stop my eyeballs from falling out of my sockets. The fact that she would be ashamed of acting "wild" and not expecting herself of being able to get by on her own annoys me. I just don't like the way the characters are portrayed. The romance is too cheesy for me and completely not my type.

However, this did not stop me from enjoying the plot. As much as I found it annoying, I still enjoyed the book a lot. That is why I am going ahead and I will read the rest of the books. I have also read the novella A Moth in the Mirror which I enjoyed the insight that it gave me. The second book is out already but the third book would be out in 2015. I just hope that the romance wouldn't get too ridiculous and the plot will continue on being good, otherwise I don't think I'll continue reading. 

Happy Reading!
Alya 

No comments:

Post a Comment