Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Update, Rambles and Baking

Hello everyone, so a couple of days back I went grocery shopping with my mum (which is what I do whenever we have a long vacation) because I honestly enjoy picking up food I see for the first time and try it out. Even though 80% of the time I end up not liking it. I bought mocha flavored cookies fortunately, they were very tasty. I also bought chocolate chips because when its Ramadan, everyone unleashes their inner chef. I wanted to make moist, yummy, mouthwatering cookies.

Side thought because my thoughts are always scattered and I always want to include them all in my post: Today I went to Giant and I wanted to try the canned Starbucks Double Shot Vanilla Espresso; which I ended up disliking so that concludes my examples of that 80%. It just was too milky and artificial. Also I react very badly to energy drinks, I don't know what I was thinking- I thought it would taste as nice as the glass bottle frappuccino. I think the energy stimulated this post as well. 

Anywho, yesterday while my phone only contained 10% charge I hastily typed up in google soft moist cookie recipe and I came across a really nice baking blog. Here is the url. I followed up the instructions and it said that I had to refrigerate the dough for at least 2-3 hours and its preferably to 1 day. Thus, I kept it for one day. Surprisingly, I woke up today full of energy and not just laying down on the sofa all day. I took out the dough (didn't wait for it to loosen up) and forced it to warm up.

I burned the first batch because I kept it more than the required time- don't be rebellious like me and listen to the instructions, the cookies will finish the baking process outside the oven [this is mostly a note to myself]. My second batch were nicely made and cooked perfectly- if I can say so.

Proof: my little sister and cousin ate half of it (which is most of the second batch) leaving the burned ones for us.

Here is how they turned out:




They did look quite nice but the ones on the bottom had their bottoms burned badly. The top didn't burn because they don't require baking from the top (that was batch #1). And yes, we have a bright yellow and white kitchen. 

I baked those cookies around noon. I would say that my sister tasted them at sunset and said they still tasted quite good. However, when I tasted them at midnight I didn't really feel they tasted good. So they taste good fresh only I guess.

Now I am working on improving my baking skills. Lets just hope I won't get lazy or be bored and stop. There is something about baking from scratch that is quite appealing to me. But of course I do bake from a box once I am lazy.

Also I am slacking so much on my reading since I'm focusing more on reading Quran and family gatherings. Therefore, there might not be any reviews anytime soon. Or maybe there will. Who knows.

Let me know if you want me to review a book I've read and haven't in the comment section below.

Happy baking!
-Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment