Thursday, August 14, 2014

50 Book Related Questions


I wanted to answer some book related questions today, I googled it and I found this blog post with the questions and now I'm doing it. Lets get started:

1. Favorite childhood book?
This is easy I loved (and still do re-read every once in a while) The Twits by Roald Dahl. 

2. What are you reading right now?  
I just read a couple of pages of Pride and Prejudice. I didn't have time to sit down a read an adequate amount. 

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
 None.
 
4. Bad book habit? 
Not being able to stop myself from buying more books.
 
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? 
Nothing.
 
6. Do you have an e-reader?
 Nope, I prefer the physical copy of a book, but I occasionally do read using an e-reader. 

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? 
For the most part a book at a time. 

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? 
No.
 

9. Least favourite book you read this year?
A book I just read in Arabic called اللص والكلاب - نجيب محفوظ

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
I can't choose one, but at the end of the year I'll probably do my top ten or fourteen...
 

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? 
I just read books that appeal me. Some are more challenging language wise or its hard to get through but I don't feel like I classify the books according to how comfortable I am reading it.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
 If you mean genre-wise then I like magical realism, historical fiction, classics, some contemporary and young adult. Again, I don't understand how is there a reading comfort zone. Just read what you like. 

13. Can you read in the car? 
For the most part. 

14. Favorite place to read?
Honestly everywhere I don't mind as long as nothing distracts me. I like changing the places where I'd read, especially around the house.  

15. What is your policy on book lending? 
That they better return the book.
 
16. Do you ever dog-ear books? 
I used to do it all the time, now I mostly use bookmarks, I do still do it sometimes.
 
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? 
Yes. Rarely though. 
 

18. Not even with text books? 
I do.
 
19. What is your favourite language to read in? 
English.
 
20. What makes you love a book? 
I wouldn't say there is something in particular. As long as I lose sense of my surrounding and immerse myself into the book, I relate to some extent and beautiful writing wins me over as well.
 
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? 
Ones mentioned in the answer above.
 
22. Favorite genre? 
I'd say magical realism.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)? 
If I wish I did then I just will?   

24. Favourite biography? 
As long as I am interested in the persons biography and its written adequately then I'd like it. I do not have a favorite and I don't read that many.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book? 
Yes.

26. Favourite cookbook? 
I don't have one, but if any of you got any to recommend then please do. 

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? 
Extremely Loud Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

28. Favorite reading snack? 
Coffee/tea and cake.
 
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. 
I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars by John Green when I read when it first came out, I still do, but whenever I see the excessive hype it makes me cringe.
 
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book? 
I don't look up to what the critics say.
 
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? 
As long as I am being completely honest then I don't mind. I think if I had to review a book of an author I'd personally know it would be stressful since I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. 
 

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose? 
Russian so I'd read the Russian classics, I think I'd enjoy them more that way. 
 

35. Favorite Poet? 
I don't read a lot of poetry, but its Ilya Kaminsky. He's absolutely brilliant, check him out. 

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
One or two at a time, sometimes four but not more than that.
 

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread? 
Not very often. I don't check it out unless I do want to read it.
 

38. Favorite fictional character? 
I will list a couple I could think of right now, but of course there are more.
  • Fermin Romero from the Shadow of the Wind. 
  • All the characters in Harry Potter honestly.
  • Levi from Fangirl.
  • The mother and father in the Book Thief the ones that adopted Liesel 
  • and Max (my heart still aches)
I think that is enough for now.

39. Favourite fictional villain? 
Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter because she is pure evil. I do not think anyone out there who has read the book doesn't hate her. It is like she demands to be hated.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading. 
I have no clue. 

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish. 

Life and Opinions of Maf the Dog, and of His Friend Marilyn Monroe by 

 
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? 

When people speak really loudly around me or to me while I am reading. It gets on my nerve.
 
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel? 

I liked The Book Thief, Life of Pi (didn't enjoy the book that much but the movie was really good- I know odd) thats all I can think of right now.
 
45. Most disappointing film adaptation? 

I can't think of any.
 
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time? 

Perhaps around 50 BD (around $133) but that was only once. I usually spend 10-20 BD.
 
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? 

I don't. 

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through? 
If I can't seem to enjoy it at all. 
 

49. Do you like to keep your books organized? 

Yes.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them? 
Keep books. If I didn't enjoy the book they I would probably donate it or give it to someone whom I think would like it. 

Feel free to answer the questions as well in the comment section or some of them, or even post a blog post and post the link below. :-) 

Happy Reading!
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment