Friday, August 29, 2014

Green Smoothies



The idea of juicing a mixture of fruit and veggies together had never appealed me. I remember at the age of twelve I made a smoothie with peaches, apples and grapes and I couldn't bring myself to finishing it. So that made me stay away for a long, long time. Then a while later my friend told me a recipe for an apple and banana smoothie/milkshake thing and I loved it. I made it for several days in a row. It was a constant breakfast, dinner and even snack. I like my smoothies/milkshakes to be blended with tons of ice, so when winter came I stopped. Then I didn't feel like having it, I'd just rather have something else.

The other day I found a picture of a green smoothie and the girl posted that if you knew the benefits you would make some as well. I googled more about it and I loved the idea of drinking it in the morning on a empty stomach and it doesn't need digesting so your body would suck the nutrients fast. Also getting more greens into your everyday diet and consuming something before coffee. More about the benefits over here.

It is simple. You choose your leafy greens, one or two fruits, water or milk and some lemon. If you like ginger then add it to spice it up, some flax seeds. Honestly the combinations are numerous. I'll share some I made:


- 1 green apple
- purple grapes
- water
- ginger
- long-leafed lettuce

- orange
- lemon
- ginger
- lettuce
- dates to sweeten it
- water
- mint
- long-leafed lettuce


- avocado
- green apple
- water
- lemon
- ginger
-  long-leafed lettuce
- mint

- watermelon
- cucumber
- water
- dates
-  long-leafed lettuce
- ginger
- mint

* I prefer not juicing the lemon and orange, add it all so you would gain more fiber and not waste the nutrients in the fruit.

Feel free to add honey or any kind of sweetener you'd like, but I would prefer you don't. Use naturally sugary fruit if you like your smoothies really sweet.

Do you make green smoothies? What's your favorite combo?

Happy sipping,
Alya

No comments:

Post a Comment